School District: United School District
The town was founded in 1870. The original name for Alexis was Alexandria after co-founder J.E. Alexander. Alexis is called the American Home of the Clydesdales. The horses were raised and bred on the nearby farm of Col. Robert Holloway in the 1880’s and 1890’s.
The Village of Alexis is located between two Counties (Warren & Mercer) and four Townships (Kelly, Spring Grove-Warren County and Suez & North Henderson-Mercer County).
The Alexis Opera house is on the national registry of historic places and currently houses several businesses. More information on the history of Alexis is available at the Alexis museum.